Company Operation Name- Teledyne Micralyne Inc.
Business Address- 1911 94th Street Edmonton, AB Canada T6N 1E6
Job Title- Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Coordinator
The EH&S Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the EH&S programs, procedures, training, work practices and controls are effectively implemented in accordance with the Company’s policies and objectives. The EH&S Coordinator is also responsible for ensuring compliance with applicable Environmental, Health & Safety Laws, regulations, and standards.
The primary mandate for the EH&S Coordinator is to support company-wide operations in administering employee health and safety activities, as well as, to initiate or assist in strategic EH&S projects or initiatives. The position promotes safety in all aspects of work through employee engagement and EH&S awareness training, acts as the resource and knowledgebase for health and safety compliance requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Is a permanent member of Safety Committee as the employer representative. Works with the Employer and Worker Co-chairs to execute a focused and effective committee is in action.
- Schedules committee meetings, takes and publishes committee meeting minutes, prepares regular internal EH&S awareness communication.
- Facilitates Safety Committee actions as required and provides the recommendations to management for review, so decisions are effectively implemented.
EH&S Compliance, Documentation & Reporting
- Ensures that the EH&S policies and protocols are established and are compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable regulations.
- Keeps current on legislative changes that may apply to the company and reports findings to Executive team.
- Applies applicable ISO/Quality principles for EH&S documentation, activity, and audit/drill recordkeeping.
- Prepares and reports correlated performance metrics; EH&S audit/drill results; Safety Report status; injury and illness summaries to the Safety Committee, employees, plant management and corporate EH&S.
- Executes emergency preparedness through the development, implementation, and evaluation of emergency response plans. Implements emergency response training and drills.
- Coordinates the management of Emergency Response Team, including membership, equipment, and training.
- Certifies that the First Aid facilities are maintained, and sufficient numbers of employees are up to date in their First Aid training.
- Manages the inventory of safety consumables, including, but not limited to; chemical spill kits, eyewashes, and showers, first aid kits, fire blankets, Lockout/Tag-out kits, etc.
Prevention & Control
- Establishes and delivers required EH&S training to employees. Ensures EH&S related information is current, accurate and accessible by employees.
- Ensures that chemicals are imported, used, disposed of & stored safely. This includes SDS management and emissions control. Leads annual chemical waste audit and roundup. Manages liquid and solid waste disposal; follows up on trends to reduce waste.
- Administers the PPE program, including prescription safety glasses and safety footwear programs for required areas.
- Conducts regular Safety Management by walking around and doing visual checks. Plans and organizes internal EH&S audits/inspections. Identifies improvement opportunities and recommends changes to eliminate workplace incidents and injuries.
- Conducts timely investigations for identified or reported EH&S concerns, or incidents. Works with functional teams to develop effective preventative & corrective actions to prevent incident, or incident re-occurrence. Coordinates and facilitates the completion of relative EH&S preventative and corrective actions.
- Participates in hazard assessments and establishes hazard controls according to EH&S procedures for new equipment, equipment modifications and new processing set up.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; works well in individual problem-solving situations.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written and numerical information.
- Teamwork – Gives and welcomes feedback; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; supports organization’s goals and values.
- Motivation – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism – Reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures including using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required and wearing company issued badge when on company property; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and material properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Generates suggestions for improving work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Occupational Health & Safety accreditation courses completed or equivalent experience. Post-secondary degree in Environmental, or Occupational Health & Safety preferred
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience as EH&S professional in manufacturing environment. Previous experience in semiconductor manufacturing would be considered an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of relevant regulations, codes and legislative requirements relating to OSHA, CSA, WCB and the Environmental Act.
- Experience working with chemicals and controlling chemical hazards is considered an asset.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to respond to changing priorities and managing multiple tasks; proven ability to prioritize and to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency on computer software applications (Word, Excel, Project, Access, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience in writing procedures and policies an asset. Good record keeping, previous experience in an ISO environment preferred.
- A self-starter, strong attention to details. Must be effective in problem solving and decision-making
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of the organization and communicate with a diverse/multi-culture workforce.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication abilities with all levels of management, employees, and customers
Points of Contact:
Erin Robinson, Human Resources Advisor